Join the ultimate science adventure with the Jr Scientists in the Sea (JSIS) homeschool program!
This program introduces students to many aspects of marine science. Students will participate in hands-on activities that involve working with corals, seagrasses, mangroves, and more! Students will also learn a myriad of SCUBA diving skills in their journey to become SCUBA certified. Our guest speakers will introduce students to different aspects of the professional world of marine sciences. Speakers include photographers, biologists, military and professional divers, and marine historians.
Each month, there will be a one-week long course. Students will participate in classes, labs, and field activities that will establish a passion for the underwater world. Diver training is conducted in a pool and an enclosed lagoon at Jules’ Undersea Lodge. Students will progress to reefs and shipwrecks in Key Largo after demonstrating their abilities in the pool and lagoon.
Students also have the opportunity to visit the underwater habitat and earn an Aquanaut certification. All activities are performed in group settings with professional instructors, allowing students to make life-long friendships and communicate directly with industry professionals.
JSIS’ “No Child Left Inside” policy allows students who cannot swim or dive to participate in alternative activities, like using drones and ROVs to collect photos and videos of marine life without being in the water. These students can still participate in all coursework and lab activities.
What can students earn?
- Homeschool class credits
- SCUBA certifications: Open Water Diver, Advanced Diver, Rescue Diver, Full Face Mask Diver, Deep Diving, Night Diving, Underwater Archeology and Aquanaut Each is part of a separate block
- College credit from the Colleges in Florida or American Council on Education (ACE)
- Knowledge and appreciation for undersea life and all that goes into protecting it
- We accept a maximum of 10 students per session.
- Students must be 10 years of age or older to participate.
- Students must be medically cleared to SCUBA dive.
- Basic swimming skills.
- All books and materials
- Mask, fins, snorkel and mesh bag
- Charter Boat and lagoon fees
How much does this program cost?
This program is $1,200.00
What does this price include?
- Access to the courses
- Access to all necessary learning materials (eLearning, books, tools, etc.)
- Lagoon fees
- Two days with MarineLab
- Charter boat fees (this does include tips)
- Dive certification fees
Students will keep:
- Mesh bag
- eLearning and books used for their study
- Buoyancy Compensator Devices (BCDs)
- SCUBA cylinders
- Diving weights
Are you FES-UA and PEP Approved?
Yes. We are FES-UA and PEP approved.
What about lodging?
- Lodging is not included in this cost
- Lodging is provided in Homestead
- JSIS partners with Fairfield Inn, Quality Inn, or Traveler’s Lodge for good pricing
- Rudimentary lodging is available on campus at MRDF
What is the minimum deposit I need to make to sign up?
Is there a Group Rate for Families with Multiple Students?
Yes! Please contact our financial aid department for more information about family prices
How do I pay?
OR Use Venmo, PayPal, Zelle, or mail a check
- Check made out to “JSIS” mailed to: JSIS, P.O. Box 344158, Homestead, FL 33034
- Zelle @ 850-528-0520.
- PayPal at LesBurke
- Venmo: Les-Burke-2
- If using a credit card, please add 3%
How Do I Sign Up?
You can sign up here.
What Forms Will I Receive, and What do I do with Them?
- You will receive: Medical Release, Liability Release, Student Code of Conduct, and a Model Release
- After receiving your forms, complete them, and submit them with your deposit. A full schedule will be sent alongside a final payment due date